May 16, 2014

Happy Teacher's Day!

With Teacher's Day coming up, I asked my little girl last week if she'd like to give her kindergarten teacher a thank you present - her face lit up like a Christmas tree on Christmas morning and she nodded enthusiastically.

I showed lil Ee what I had in mind; Jamie Lane's Pencil Holders; she has 8 designs available on Silhouette Online and my little girl chose the Flower Pencil Holder {... a very good choice, baby girl! Mama would have selected that one too}.

I spent Monday evening setting up the files by adding patterns to the blank cut files; salmon and pink polka dots for the base and vintage chevron pink for the inner insert and lid. I added chalkboard black for the flag and decided that one was not enough, so I made three ... fine, I am slightly obsessive compulsive.

After printing and cutting out the pieces, I laid them out on an old piece of newspaper and sprayed on a few layers of clear lacquer to keep the ink from smudging, in case it got wet. This will after all, pass through the hands of 1 four year old and kept in a class with 9 other four year olds "><

While waiting for the pieces to dry, I went to work cutting out the pieces for the flowers from pink coloured card stock for the petals and yellow for the stamens. I then glued them together using a staple in my craft stash - double sided tape. The first flower took a while to figure out but once it was done, the others was easy. It does however, take patience and I am not particularly blessed with an abundance of it. Sigh.

When all the pieces dried and finally in place, I started assembling them; first the base, the inner insert then the lid. I then wrapped baker's twine around the lid for texture but still found the whole thing a bit bare. So I added a doll from Lettering Delight's Sew Cute collection and a vintage banner from their preview collection - Merry Month Of May, which is available only during checkout in May.

Here's what it looked like with my watercolour pencils as test pencils.


I was feeling quite accomplished and decided to post the photo on to my Facebook page and then the husband had to make a comment about the eyes looking like something out of Halloween; he was fortunate he made the comment 150 kms away because I was sick, tired and super cranky when I read it {... snort. Men!}

After work the next day, I went out and bought matching buttons and attempted to glue it on with my glue gun only to find out that the buttons were too small. Sigh ... "smart" classic me. So, I printed out another doll, sprayed on clear lacquer, waited for the lacquer to dry and glued on the mini buttons. So now, this is what the final product looks like. 



The look on my little girl's face when she saw her finished present was priceless. Now she's super excited about Teacher' Day and hopefully Teacher Tammy likes her present as much as my little girl.