April 23, 2014

Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner

Last year was quite an adventurous year for me when it came to all things makeup. I got myself quite a stash load of products; some got me raving like a lunatic and some, got me cussing in six languages ... maybe, two languages and four dialects.

This year, my bank account decreed that I should be less adventurous ... but when a product launches to rave beauty blog reviews, it calls to me like a siren call and this was my April siren call - the Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner in Violet Night.


When I first read about the Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner at Paris B's, it got me curious as to how good it really was so while I was in KL last week, I paid Bobbi Brown at Sunway Pyramid a visit.

The Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner is Bobbi Brown's first retractable pencil. The formula claims to deliver pigmented colour and precision lining. It also boasts a 12-hour wear and is water, sweat and humidity resistant ... all these combined got me testing all six shades available at the counter and I went home with Violet Night; a black/purple shade with subtle shimmery bits which isn't visible when applied.


This isn't my first retractable pencil eyeliner. SkinFood has one; the Eggplant Waterproof Eyeline Auto Pencil. I bought one last year but did not write about it even though I finished the one and went out and repurchased a second. It was a convenient little invention but I wasn't particularly blown away by its formula.

I tight-line my upper lids for work almost every day because it's a natural look that gives the illusion of lush lashes and because I cannot draw a straight line on my upper lids to save my life. I also have oily lids and all the eye liners I've used before would migrate from the upper to lower lids, casting a panda-like shadow which does not look good on me ... no matter how trendy the smokey-eye look may be.

I've been using Bobbi Brown's Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner to tight line my upper lids for half a week now and I actually have no complains about it, well ... other than the price; it retails for RM90. I know - ouch! But, is it worth the price?

The formula glides on creamy, which means no tugging on skin whenever I tight line - great for an ageing vain pot like me but it also means product will finish faster.

Once on, it's quite budge proof - even after a full day in the office and running mama errands after, there was very minimal product transfer from my upper to lower lids unlike my previous eyeliner purchases. The fact that I didn't have to check the mirror for the panda eye effect every half hour or so, was impressive.

Bobbi Brown's Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner is growing on me. I like that there are 6 gorgeous shades to choose from, I like that the formula glides on creamy and I love that it doesn't give me the panda eye effect. However, I hate that there aren't any Bobbi Brown counters where I live and I'm finding it a little hard to swallow the RM90 price tag ...

What are your thoughts?