January 21, 2014

Evolu Recovery Day Cream

Evolu was launched in Malaysia mid July 2013. Founded by Kati Kasza who grew up surrounded by botanicals in the unspoiled natural land of Aotearoa New Zealand, Evolu is about going back to basics and believes simple is always better. It's mission - Transforming skin. Naturally.

I was sent a complimentary tube of Evolu's Recovery Day Cream to review at the start of the year, which was perfect timing because I had just ran out of moisturizer ... thanks Su Ann for getting it to me so quickly.


In the little over two weeks that I've been using the moisturizer, I decided to leave out the usual serums and masks so I can judge if the Recovery Day Cream does what it says it will do. My two weeks is up and here's my verdict on Evolu and its Recovery Day Cream experience.

As with most new products, I did an online research about it. The first thing that caught my eye about Evolu is a particular philosophy the company adopts when creating its products; "... that a long list of ingredients doesn't necessarily make for a better product."

It reminded me of something the husband said when we had to change the ol' and ailing air-conditioning unit in the children's room. I wanted the latest model which had all the latest gadgetry and functions; the husband wanted a model that did what an air-conditioning was suppose to - cool the air. His reasoning was simple - the more stuff you cram in there, the more confusing it is to fix when it acts up because you don't know what went wrong. So, why pay more now and then end up paying more later on too? 

Men. They don't make sense most of the time but when they do, it sticks with you. A total roll-the-eyes sort of moment, don't you think?

Evolu's Recovery Day Cream comes packaged in a simple understated box; void of fancy embossing and gold trimmings with brown/white/grey words printed. The design is also echoed on the 75ml (2.6 fl. oz) tube of product housed inside. Somehow, products with simple packaging gives me an impression that time and money is spent on improving and perfecting the product itself rather than designing a fancy-smancy packaging which will eventually end up in the bin ... but, that's just me.


All the ingredients in Evolu's line of products including the ones in the Recovery Day Cream are chosen for a specific job, in turn ensuring the product works as intended while maximizing the ingredient's benefits to the skin.


Keeping things simple which is another one of Evolu's philosophy, the list of ingredients wasn't as long as I expected. From experience, I've use moisturizers before claiming to be au-natural but had ingredient lists printed in fonts the size of an ant and measuring about the length from here to Antarctica. It does make me wonder if all these ingredients are necessary when all I need is just to help keep my skin moisturized.


This particular cream is formulated for those with dry and/or sensitive skin; it's purpose is to calm and replenish. There are a total of seventeen ingredients in Evolu's Recovery Day Cream with pure New Zealand spring water first on its list of ingredients. Of the remaining sixteen, there are also these actives each with its own purpose:

  • New Zealand Kawakawa, to repair and detoxify.
  • Geranium which calms, is therapeutic and improves circulation.
  • Borage Seed Oil which acts as a moisture binding agent
  • Pure Vitamin E to protect.
  • Patchouli and Lemon Oil, to sooth and is anti-inflammatory.
  • Kiwifruit Seed Oil, which is high in Vitamin C and Omega-3. 

I know ... you're probably thinking, "This woman must have a lot of time on her hands to be counting ingredients!" Well, truth be told - not really. It's just that I really wanted to know if less is more while keeping things simple really do work after two weeks of using this moisturizer, I'm beginning to think Evolu has a point.

Ever since lil Ee started kindergarten in the beginning of the year, my days have been pushed up an extra few hours earlier than I would like which means a total of 4-5 hours of staggered sleep a night. A normal day for me now begins at five-ish and doesn't end until a little over midnight with a whole lot of mad-dashes and F1 stunts in between.

Other than my mandatory two litre of daily water intake, I also have been relying on a cuppa Joe in the mornings to keep my eyelids open and my brain functioning ... at least until my body gets use to the new schedule. I know, caffeine isn't the best way to go about it but I think it's a better option than duct tape on my eyelids.

Having said all that ... under these circumstances on my previous skin care routine, the sudden change in routine would have brought forth the grease-pan face in the mornings with the occasional visit from the Pimple Fairy during the nights. I'm glad to report, the skin on my face is still nicely hydrated so I Evolu's philosophies must be working.

Although the Recovery Day Cream is as it is - a cream, the texture is surprisingly light. It absorbed quickly and left my face soft to the touch and most importantly, non greasy. 

Scent wise, I'd describe it as a concoction of nature, almost spa-like but not as sweet or in-your-face ... if that makes any sense at all. I don't know how NZ Kawakawa or Geranium smells like but when applied, I do detect a subtle hint of lemons and almonds. The woody scent of patchouli  is strongest and on my skin, it lingers a little longer than other ingredients but does dissipated after five minutes or so.

Here's the weird thing though. I have been contemplating if I should write about it but I then this is an honest review so here goes ...  after each and every application, the image of Hobbiton and the vast rolling hills and green valleys from The Lord of The Rings just pops up in my head; must be from all the reading I've been doing but oh well, a very nice added experience to Evolu, I suppose :-p

Evolu Recovery Day Cream retails at RM232 for 75ml tube.
Evolu products are available at theSkintopic at the locations listed below.

Pavilion Kuala Lumpur; Level  5 - P5.12.00
T: 03-2142 9988

Subang Parade; Lower Ground Floor - Lot LGC01
T: 03-5638 2988

Hartamas Shopping Centre; PF3 First Floor. 
T: 03-6205 8828

The Curve; K-G8-W - Ground Floor, Mutiara Damansara
T: 03-7722 2213

Avenue K; C-16A, 156 Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur