October 8, 2013

sinking my teeth all week long into the vampire diaries ... iTunes and all

Ahhh ... my very handsome brood of vampires, werewolves, hybrids, witches, doppelgänger, and hunters are finally back in season five although it is with a not so original title "I Know What You Did Last Summer" but then, who cares because they are finally back - hooyah! Sorry guys. I've been shacked up with the supernatural gang from Mystic Falls the whole of last week catching up on season four ... hence my procrastination in blogging. And yes, this particular post is going to be about The Vampire Diaries so SPOILER ALERT, if you haven't seen season four or The Vampire Diaries - you have been warned.

Other than the fact that the bunch from Mystic Falls are beautiful on the eyes especially after a long day in the office, there is one other thing that I love - the music. So, for this post I'll be writing about tunes that made it into my iTunes library after twenty episodes of season four and first episode of season five.

The first song that made me sit up and take notice of the music in TVD was in episode two by Marina & The Diamonds; the haunting Fear and Loathing. It was played during the first "intimate" moment between Damon and Elena in season four when he dragged her into the bathroom of The Mystic Grill and offered his arm for her to feed on - she had trouble keeping blood down due to the whole sire bond debacle.

Season IV Episode 2 - Memorial
Fear and Loathing by Marina & The Diamonds

Towards the end of episode seven, after Elena breaks it off with Stefen and goes to Damon due to the whole sire bond thingy - I found this song which I aptly name the TVD season four make-out anthem; Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran. The lyrics describes the Delena situation perfectly but I will have to admit, I found the whole Caroline comforting Stefen and coming up with the whole sire bond revelation conversation in between scenes was quite annoying.

Then in episode nine, Christmas came in the form of one of the darkest episodes in TVD, to date - "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful". There were quite a lot of Christmas-y tunes in the entire episode and when you sit back and look at it, it all seemed laced with a sense of ironic humor. You will have to watch it though to understand the pun of it but the title during each scene does give you a picture:
But and this is in my opinion, one scene filled with the highest sense of irony and one of the best scene was when Klaus killed all twelve hybrids Tyler turned against him by breaking their sire bond to him and plotted with them to kill him with witchcraft. It was played to this tune; O' Holy Night by Cary Brothers - now tell me it's not ironic given the circumstances.

As dark and gory as this scene is, I think Joseph Morgan killed the scene {no pun intended here ... really}. You could almost feel the anguish and anger he felt then ... and then, there's the little thing - he looks hot in a suit!

Season IV Episode 9 - O' Come All Ye Faithful
O' Holy Night by Cary Brothers

The next couple of episode after was pretty "tame", by TVD standards that is. It revolved around the usual, you know - the usual "get the cure for Elena - bring the veil down - find Qetsiyah - kill Silas" drama. Then episode twenty came along and I fell in love with the soundtrack all over again, New Orleans style via the pilot episode of The Originals.

The first song that caught my attention was by Fall Out Boy, the currently hot on Malaysian airwaves' My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up), which was used on the promo video.

The Originals Pilot Promo Video

Then as the episode progressed, awesome songs started rolling in which included Revolution by Dr. John which plays when three big guys walks up, stops and picks up a coffin lying in the intersection of The Quarter. The next scene then shows a man saying, "Welcome to the dark side of New Orleans, where the living are easily lost and the dead stick around to play." Epic!

You will also hear a cover of The Heavy's rather catchy How Do You Like Me Now, as Klaus enters a bar looking for Marcel - a men-tee of his. The last catchy tune in this episode appears when Klaus calls Caroline on his cell telling him he misses her, in his own way - to this song, Do Whatcha Wanna by the Rebirth Brass Band.

And after twenty three episodes, the finale comes on and adds two more tunes to my iTunes library.

The first song comes from one of my favourite scenes ... the moment when Klaus gives Caroline her graduation present - that Tyler is free to return to Mystic Falls which is played to Cary Brother's Belong. Sigh ... the words he said absolutely made me melt ... "He's your first love. I intend to be your last ... however long it takes. Congratulations, Caroline." and then he leans forward and kisses her on the cheek - in another hot suit. Sigh. {... fans me self - did I mention he was also in a suit?! - fans myself some more}.

Season IV Episode 23 - Finale
Belong by Cary Brothers

And the second song, which I like to call the bon jour theme is played through a few scenes. The first scene is when Elena finds Damon and tells him that she loves him - and it's a big deal because now she isn't sired to him anymore and any feelings she has for him is genuine.


The scene then cuts after a lot of lip-mushing and continues with Alaric saying his goodbye to best friend, Damon. I love the interaction between these two - their conversations are makes them so "them".

Damon: What? 
Alaric: You got the girl, man. 
Damon: *Smirks* I got the girl. 
Alaric: Now, don't screw it up. 
Damon: How can I with you looking over my shoulder?
The camera pans and Alaric disappears because Bonnie's closed the veil.

Season IV Episode 23 - Finale
When I Was Younger by Liz Lawrence

The song also continues on with a scene between Jeremy and Bonnie, Stefen and Lexi. It was a pretty sad ending, until the shocker came on - which I will leave for you to find out, if you can.

After a few weeks of TVD withdrawal, season five finally came on and in perfect time too with October being Halloween and all. As with most new seasons and new episodes in TVD, the choice of good catchy tunes picks up pretty slow and unfortunately, all I could only find was one tune ... Royals by Lourde, played when Elena and Caroline heads off to college but it's a good one.

Season V Episode 1 - I Know What You Did Last Somemore Royals - Lourde

So there you have it, my iTunes pick from The Vampire Diaries season four and what's available in season five.
How about yourself ... are you a Vampire Diaries junkie, like moi and love their music too { ... and think Klaus looks hwat in a suit!}