September 21, 2013

what I think of men who use CK Encounter

Finally! After a week tooth-drama, I am able to think straight and write a proper sentence without wanting to run to the kitchen and stick my cheeks to the freezer walls. So today, I thought I'd do a write-up as my try-my-luck entry for a whopping bottle of CK Encounter and by whopping I mean 185ml whopping. It's sort of a "contest" open to TheLilacBloggers as part of yet another exciting initiative between TheLilacBox and Luxasia Malaysia.

Initially I thought I'd drive me and my nose to the nearest Calvin Klein counter to take in a good whiff of it and take it from there. But then being caught in a jam can pretty much screw up your plans, especially if you have portable technology with you {cough! iPad! cough!} and in it happens to be the CK Encounter ad featuring Alexander Skarsgård and Lara Stone.



After scrutinizing the photo and the video, while being stuck in a jam - that was that. I was utterly convinced that Ian Somerhalder looked better on it. Sorry Skarsgård fans around the world, but I am a chick who loves her Fifty Shades and believes Hollywood just recently murdered the very epitome of masculinity ala Fifty Shades by casting someone who isn't Ian Somerhalder.

How did getting caught in a traffic jam on the way to take a whiff off a bottle of fragrance morph into Fifty Shades, you ask? Simple really - being disappointed with Hollywood the past two weeks while listening to "The Flower Duet" by Charlotte Church which incidentally is a song off Fifty Shades then viewing a gray-ish hued CK Encounter ad with the tagline "... story of unresolved tension and desire; a man who knows what he wants and remains in control ... the mystery unfolds with infinite possibilities." - the Fifty Shades & Christian Grey light bulb in a million gigawatt bulb just lights up on top of my noggin' and etches itself even more permanently on my sub-cranium!

Sorry guys, I truly am. I tried really hard avoiding mashing anything FSOG into this writeup but as you can read by now, I failed and miserably so. I just can't get it out of my system! Oh well, I figured I might as well continue writing since it would only go two ways - you'd either be tied up in knotted fury or be tickled fancy by it.

Right. Let's get back to my "endeavoring-to-be-absolutely-honest pre-review write up" of what I think of men who use CK Encounter, shall we? So I was on my way to the Calvin Klein counter to take a good whiff of the fragrance and grope at the bottle a bit. When I finally got to my destination, I asked to test the fragrance and the SA happily obliged by directing me to a sleek bluish-black hued bottle. It's not a bottle I'd pick up for the husband on normal days but today, it did intrigued me.


CK Encounter is indeed a handsome bottle, even underneath the eeky lighting of the departmental store. Crafted from pretty high-quality, heavy-weighted glass in a unique prism-ed design, the deep blue almost black hue of the glass creates a sleek  and luxurious overall feel to the fragrance. The design is further complimented with gunmetal detailing underneath the cap. It's simple yet understated but bold and rich at the same time. Just looking at the bottle made me want to have sniffing go at it but before that, I thought why not read what CK describes the fragrance as first and see if it comes off the same?
So according to Calvin Klein, CK Encounter is ...
"... an addictive blend of crisp spice, warm cognac and sensual woods; a contrast of freshness and warmth ... a distinctive expression of unapologetic masculinity."
Wait, unapologetic masculinity?! What on earth is unapologetic masculinity and why on earth would a man apologize for being masculine ... isn't being masculine one of men's mission in life? Well, with that thought in mind I took a whiff off the tester strip and it sort of fell into place. I got where Firmenich perfumers Honorine Blanc and Pierre Negrin was going with this fragrance, although in my opinion the words "unapologetic masculinity" was probably not in the best to describe it but yeah, I get it - the whole "... so the dude's all tough and masculine but he ain't gonna apologize for it!" sort of thingy. 

Moving on.

CK Encounter is designed with top notes of mandarin, aromatic cardamom and rum; middle notes of pepper, Egyptian jasmine, patchouli and cognac at its core and settling down to woody bottom notes of with the likes of agarwood, atlas cedar wood and musk, it would seem like the designers are trying to get us gals headily drunk before we can get anywhere near a guy who wears CK Encounter.


However, CK Encounter for me started off citrusy as with most CK perfumes but this mellows down into something cool yet spicy, no doubt from a mix of cardamom, pepper and of course the rum and cognac. After that, sweet woody warm note takes over but with a subtle hint of something herbal and green - most probably from the patchouli.

So there ... the bottle and the fragrance and now the verdict and I'll be honest. CK Encounter is not an overly original scent but you do have to give credit to the designers for daring to inject some subtle "oomphs" into it and by doing so, stamping the phrase "masculine!" all over it. If I were to rate this fragrance from experience alone,  I'd put CK Encounter right smack the middle between the super-obnoxious Spicebomb by Viktor&Rolf {tween scent!} and overly-sophisticated and potent Antaeus by Chanel {over forties scent!} ... and probably a few notches after the husband's current fragrance - Boss by Hugo {twenties scent!}, to which I think he has grown a tad too old mature for.


Having said that, CK Encounter to me is also not a daytime kind of fragrance. It is a masculine, rich, quite heavy bodied and sexy fragrance that is designed for the night when the air is cooler and possibilities are infinite. It is for a man who has achieved, is bold and passionate about life; a man who is poised and confident, knows what he wants in life and knows how to get it ... kind of like Christian Grey. Sorry, I just could not resist.

Anyhow, if you're having difficulties understanding my blabberings and some more, perhaps these images might help you understand better of what I think of men who wears CK Encounter embodies.

CREDITS
SEATTLE SKYLINE - THATFUNK ON DEVIANTART
IAN SOMERHALDER FROM GOOGLE
ALEXIS BLEDEL FROM GOOGLE
CK ENCOUNTER FROM GOOGLE

Imagine the evening air is cool and crisp and a couple is having a private candlelit dinner with a bottle of 1999 Bollinger Grande Année Rosé ... set all that at the very top of of the Space Needle. Then end the evening with a black Audi R8 Spyder roaring through downtown into the city's most prestigious residence and the elevator doors open with direct access to the penthouse. Now, dim the lights down and allow your imagination to roam wild. "Oh la la, mon dieu!" - Now, that is what I think of men who use CK Encounter ... vous l'a dit :-p

●   

DISCLAIMER:
THE ORIGINAL SPOKESPERSON(S) FOR CK ENCOUNTER IS ALEXANDER SKARSGÅRD & LARA STONE.
THE ABOVE IMAGE IS A FAN-MADE DEPICTION.

●   

- FOR CK ENCOUNTER -
CREATIVE DIRECTOR:
FABION BARON, BARON+BARON
PHOTOGRAPHED BY:
STEVEN KLEIN 
STYLED BY:
MIGUEL ENMORADO { STYLIST }
PAUL HANLON { HAIR }
MARK CARRASQUILLO { MAKEUP }
LOCATION
HOLLYWOOD, CA

●   

CK ENCOUNTER IS AVAILABLE AT ALL CALVIN KLEIN COUNTERS.
EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY
30ML - RRP RM152
50ML - RRP RM230
100ML - RRP RM314
AFTERSHAVE SPRAY
100ML - RRP RM212
HAIR & BODY WASH
200ML - RRP RM113