September 3, 2013

fifty shades of grey gone absolutely wrong

So I guess you've heard. Hollywood had done it again; they have murdered another highly anticipated movie even before its hit theatres. The much awaited roles of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele have finally been filled and well, I am disappointed.


Actually, disappointed is a huge understatement.

In the book, Christian Trevelyan Grey is 27 years old with unruly dark copper-colored hair and intense, bright gray eyes that are as chameleon as his moods and facial expressions. Since news hit that Fifty Shades of Grey was going to be adapted for the big screen, fans have been pushing for Ian Somerhalder to play Christian Grey and I can understand why and actually relate - he has the messy hair, the smoldering eyes and the overall mysterious look that is just well ... very Christian.


I wouldn't be this disappointed if they cast Alex Pettyfer or Chase Crawford. Heck, I don't even quite mind Chris Pine or even Zac Efron ... maybe not Zac Efron but then Hollywood decided on Charlie Hunnam.

So, he's not a total lost but it is quite difficult imagining him as the BDSM Christian and there was only one photo I could find of him that resembled just a smidgen of Christian; one of Charlie in a white suit looking out a cafe window and that's about it. Every other photo of him online is just well ... not very Christian-like. I think he'd make a good Elliot - Christian's older brother.


Then there's Anastasia Rose Steele, a slender petite younge women fresh out of college with long dark chestnut-coloured hair and powder blue eyes with an upturned nose and soft full lips. When it comes to fashion, she's more of a tee-shirt and Converse sort of gal - sort of like Lucy Hale which I picture as Anna when I read the books ...


... but then Hollywood casts Dakota Johnson, daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. I managed to find one photo of her as a brunette and well, it's not a really fitting colour for her but oh well ... there's always Hollywood magic, right?

Come to think of it, she'd make a good Kate who is Anna's best friend.

I'm sure Charlie Hunnam and Dakota Johnson are great actors but physically and feature wise, they are just wrong for their respective roles - kind of like how Robert Pattinson {and I'll probably get a lot of hate comments for writing this}  is wrong as Edward Cullen and Kirsten Stewart ... well, let's just say Bella is much more animated in the book than Kirsten was as Bella in the movie. Seriously Hollywood - has the LA smog clouded your judgement?

OK, rant over. So, will I go watch Fifty Shades of Grey when it hit theatres 1 August next year? Most likely not - I think I'll wait for it on DVD then get that so I can rant infront of my Mac {... hopefully} on how wrong Hollywood was in the comfort of my home, in PJs and most likely with my girlfriends who at this very moment feels the same way as I do.

What do you think ... did Hollywood botch it up for the fans or did they do good with the book?