August 6, 2013

... of bee venom, snake serum and dragon's blood.

Yes - I am aware that it is only August. No - it is not an ingredient list for my Halloween cauldron. No - I have not gone off the deep end, yet. What I am actually referring to are the product names in Rodial's lineup of targetted anti-anging and firming skincare which are stemmed from nature and recreated with science.

See ...!


Rodial's Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel isn't formulated with real dragon's blood. It would be awesome if dragons still exists today {... yes, I believe in dragons and the fairy-folks. Don't you?!} but downright gross if the product contained real dragon's blood and not to mention, very very cruel.

The dragon's blood used in this particular Rodial's formula is actually the Dracaena cinnabari; also known as the Socotra Dragon Tree or Dragon Blood Tree which is native to and endemic on the Socotra archipelago in the Indian Ocean. It is so called due to the red sap that the trees produce.

I first heard of this product while beauty blog surfing a few months back and have been lemming to try it out since but the price tag it came with is as grande as the actual creature itself - RM390 for a 50ml bottle from online Rodial.

So, when I saw this 15ml travel size listed on VanityTrove Malaysia, I quickly put together my second customized beauty trove after much squealing and it arrived within three days of payment confirmation. {Great job, VanityTrove Malaysia!}

I wanted to get another tube right after my second trove was processed but I could not find Rodial's Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel on the list anymore - perhaps it was snatched up el-pronto, which would not surprise me it because it is after all hailed as a revolutionary anti-aging gel that helps define facial contours and plumps up sagging skin - I suppose you can also think of it as the new-age liquid face lift without the scary knives and exorbitant price tags charged by the surgeons.

Rodial's sculpting gel supposedly works by forming a unique second skin-like film which protects, reduces redness and firms for a smoother, plump and more youthful complexion with a unique formulation of;
  • Dragon's blood; contains phytotherapeutic actives that when applied creates a second skin-like film to protect against free radical damage and stimulates cell regeneration. Anti-inflammatory properties soothe and repair skin and reduce redness.
  • Collageneer; a patented active ingredient that effectively increases the synthesis of collagen, ensuring skin appears tighter, firmer and more wrinkle-free by promoting the production of high quality collagen.
  • Volufiline; increases fatty deposits within the skin to provide a fuller and plumper more line-free appearance.
  • Commipheroline; renowned for its anti-inflammatory and immune-stimulant properties, a more line-free appearance is created through a plumping action, by modulating two key mechanisms that activate lipogenesis.
I've been using my precious little 15ml tube for four days now and although I have yet to see its coveted face-lifting and firming effects as my skin has yet to start its le-sagging process, my face does feels just a tad smoother and looks a little less dull, even with only an average of four hours sleep a night. Perhaps it's the sugarplums dancing around my head that caused the illusion but then, Rodial's Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel does have a fan base that includes some of Hollywood and Britain's top celebrities in the likes of Angelina Jolie, Lady Gaga, Sienna Miller and Victoria Beckham.

I have been using this on its own during the day without a moisturiser before my usual face-painting routine and I've not had issues with dryness or oiliness during the day. During the night, I use the formula as a serum before applying my usual night time moisturiser and I wake up to smooth, calm skin ... the best part, not a single breakout, extra whitehead or blackhead in sight - just soft, smooth and calm skin that I cannot stop touching.

So ... is Rodial's Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel worth the hefty RM390 price tag it comes in? Well, other than the one complain I have - I wish my 15 ml was more than 15 ml because it's only 15 little minute ml's!, I personally think it is because it's now perched on the top of my Christmas lemming list.

What do you think ... would you pay RM390 for soft, smooth and calm skin and eventually {... and hopefully}, firmer more defined facial contours in the likes of Hollywood's elite, formulated with dragon's blood, no less?