August 20, 2013

i feel like the biggest a schmuck of a mom ...

 ... and here's why. Sigh.


My baby boy tried to chase mama and tripped, literally falling flat on his face. The sound of his little noggin' hitting the floor is something I do not wish upon any mother to hear, ever.

My baby boy was howling buckets when I ran over to him, which indicates that he is most likely okay. It's been a few days since the fall and yes, I still feel like schmuck of mother. But schmuck or no schmuck, it is still good to learn the signs if your infant/toddler may be suffering from a concussion and needs immediate medical attention.
  • Your child has lost conciousness {obviously!} - this is especially true for an infant.
  • Your child is bleeding {obviously, again!}
  • Your child will not stop crying and is difficult to console.
  • Your child complains of head or neck pain.
  • Your child finds it difficult to walk and the coordination is off.
If your child does not show any of the above signs, it still does not mean that he/she is a-ok. Every child is different so trust your instints as a mother and not Google.

I kept a very close watch on lil Kai for the next three hours after I applied an ice-pack on his forehead, which he absolutely hated but it reduced 60% the ugly swelling in the photo. I watched for changes in his behaviour and for any of the signs below but once he cleared the three hour mark and was cheekier than ever, I was slightly relieved. I still felt like a schmuck mother, though.
  • Loss of consciousness.
  • Headache.
  • Dizziness.
  • Confusion.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Irritability.
  • Drainage - clear or bloody, from his nose, mouth, or ears.
Lil Kai fell asleep as usual but I did wake him up twice on the first and second hour mark. I poked him a little and he stirred, opened his eyes a tad, grunted and complained just a wee bit. I knew then my little man was fine. Of course, when he woke up the next morning ... he was showered him with a whole lot of kisses from the husband and the schmuck mama.