August 9, 2013

creative friday! ice cream chore trainer by fifth & hazel

I have been hogging quite a bit of space on my desktop lately with a lot of artsy downloads from the amazing digital space that is the Internet. So for today's post, I thought why not share some of my "loot" hence, the debut of the "Creative Friday!" series; a weekly post featuring some of my favourite downloads from some of my favourite designers and where to source for the materials.

While spring cleaning my files & folders during my blogging-time-off a few weeks ago, I came across a file I downloaded from Fifth & Hazel late last year which has been collecting digital dust since - the ice cream chore trainer. It was was originally downloaded as a method of teaching lil Ee the meaning of actions and consequences since she loves and still does a year on - ice cream.

Here's how the chart works:


There are six pages in the file, which you can download here containing coloured plus black & white ice cream and cones. There are also seventeen different chores, all pre-kindergarten children specific. It's a super simple DIY project that you can do in one weekend.

Here's how I assembled mine:
  1. Print the patterns on cardstock paper - I used 300g art paper I "borrowed" from lil Ee's drawing pad and trimmed it to approximately A4 in size.
  2. Cut and trim the patterns you want to use - the chores, the ice cream and cone. You don't have to trim the edges exactly to the line, a little white border can give your project a little character.
  3. Paste a chore behind an ice cream, be sure to glue it centred vertically but slightly lower horizontally as you will need space on the top to glue a magnet on the top. You can purchase magnets from Daiso's craft section in either single round ones or in one sided adhesive strips all for RM5 per pack - I used the stronger round magnets for the ice creams and trimmed long strips of magnet for the cone.
I stuck the assembled pieces on the lower door of my fridge - low enough to lil Ee to reach because I wanted her to be the one to add an ice cream to the cone whenever she accomplishes a task. However, having it so low is not without its disadvantages as another ice cream might "mysteriously appear" on the cone so for the ice creams that my little girl has yet to earn - those I stick high up and out of her reach.

My rules for lil Ee is pretty simple. In order for her to earn a reward, I will give her a different task to complete every day starting every Monday. It can be something simple like remembering to put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket after her bath or putting her toys away after play-time. It can also be something she is currently struggling with like finishing her meals or throwing a tantrum before & after her afternoon naps.

Then for every single task she completes successfully and without fuss, she gets to put an ice cream on top of her cone. If she has six ice creams on top of her cone come Saturday evening, we will reward her with a trip McDonald's on Sunday. The rewards will change with time depending on what she loves - for now, it's McDonald's.

Lil Ee's ice cream record stands at four but it's only been two weeks and so far, with a little bit of encouragement from both papa and mama, she's doing a pretty good job. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that my little girl is learning that her actions have consequences and not take her mama too much for granted; aka her personal launder picker-upper and toys put-away-ter.

I hope you've been inspired!


CREATIVE FRIDAY! ICE CREAM CHORE TRAINER BY FIFTH & HAZEL
DOWNLOAD FREE PRINTABLE HERE.

160G CARDSTOCK - USE ART PAPER AND TRIM TO APPROXIMATELY A4 SIZE.
MAGNETS (ROUND) - AVAILABLE FROM DAISO; RM5.
MAGNETIC STRIPS - AVAILABLE FROM DAISO; RM5.