August 30, 2013

creative friday! herb and spices labels by cathe holden

The husband loves to cook. I love to cook and bake. So naturally between the both of us, our kitchen looks like a war-zone during the weekends. We also have a lot of herbs and spices and what-not's stored in their original jars and bottles and boxes of various shapes and sizes all over the kitchen which isn't very attractive no matter where and how I put them. I even tried hiding them behind the cabinet doors but it didn't make for a very conducive cooking environment.

So, after sitting on this post for quite some time ... for project nr. two {check out project nr. one here}, I decided to get organised with our collection of herbs, spices and condiments. I'll even let you on a little secret ... I didn't have a spend a fortune on it, other than the herbs and spices which collectively did cost me a small fortune.


Inspired by Lia Griffith's own herbs and spices collection, here's what you will need and how I did mine:
  1. Glass bottles for your herbs. The husband found me a set of four wide neck bottles priced at RM7 a set, with change to spare. Now ... these are from Mr. DIY, so do not expect super duper high quality - the plastic seal on all my bottles are a little warped in some places so if you're planning to get these, don't store products that require air tight sealing because these aren't.
  2. Labels for your herbs. I designed my own customized set of labels using Cathe Holden's glitter label templates. You don't need PhotoShop to design your own; I designed mine solely using Microsoft Word and played around with the text-box and drawing tools.
  3. Print the labels out. I printed the labels using a colour-laser printer on sheets of A4 sized sticker paper I had lying around. You can print them onto A4 paper or card stock and adhere them to the bottles using double sided tape.
  4. Spray a thin layer of lacquer to protect the label; entirely optional but I figured I might as well since I'll be handling the bottles when cooking and I might smudge the ink if I don't. I sealed it with two coats and I absolutely love the raised-etched effect when it dries.
  5. Now on to the best part ... trimming and pasting the labels onto the bottles. When you're done, start filling the bottles up with your herbs, spices and condiments, put the cap back on, sit back and admire your handwork. Or if you're like me, take a million photos and post it online and spam the husband's WhatsApp only to have him reply me with "... you very free, ah?" Men ... insert loads of eye-rolling action here; enough to drive Christian Grey positively violent.

If you would like to try customise this project out for yourself, you can download Cathe Holden's glitter label templates here. You don't have to get the exact bottles from Mr. DIY - any sized bottles will do; just resize the templates in whatever programme you're using to the size of your bottles and you're set.

I hope you've been inspired!


CREATIVE FRIDAY! CUSTOMIZED HERB LABELS BY CATHE HOLDEN
DOWNLOAD FREE PRINTABLE HERE.

A4 PAPER & DOUBLE SIDED TAPE OR STICKER PAPER.
GLASS JARS - AVAILABLE FROM MR. DIY; 4 FOR RM5.
CLEAR LACQUER SPRAY - AVAILABLE FROM HARDWARE SECTIONS OF STORES.
HERBS AND SPICES!