August 16, 2013

creative friday! decorating our "happy fifth!" cupcakes

The husband and I have been married for five years so last weekend, I made him a batch of nutella centered chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting to celebrate. When you have little kids literally running circles around you, you can forget about a quiet sit-down dinner and going to the movies for the next decade or so. Le sigh ...

So, back to the cupcakes - since chalkboard art is all the rage now, I thought I'd add some très chic to the whole presentation ... with a little help from DIY goddess - Lia Griffith.


Here's how I added some chic without the très price tag:
  1. Download and print Lia's free printable chalkboard gift tags found here and her Father's Day coaster labels found here - I printed the tags and coaster designs on 80g A4 paper.
  2. Next, select the tag design you want. I selected the "With Love" design and pasted it on card stock {aka my trusty art pad paper} and then trimmed around it with a slight black border showing. The next step is entirely optional but if you're anal about the white bits of paper showing on the border as I am, you might want to darken them out using a black Sharpie or any black marker/gel pen you have.
  3. For the coaster, I trimed it to size with a pair of lace patterned scissors I got from Tesco. I wanted to paste it on cardstock but found it too difficult to cut so I left it as it was.
  4. For the toothpick, you can either use a plain ol' toothpick and adhere it to the back of the tag with tape. Or you can up the ante by decorating it with washi/fabric tape - I used fabric tape I got from Mr. DIY.
  5. Finally, the wrapper. They are actually doilies which I trimmed in half - a little trick I learned from Pinterest and way, way much cheaper than getting the laser cut ones. All you have to do is fold the doily in half and then trim off the inner circle. Unfold it and cut the doily in half following your fold line and then using tape, wrap it around your cupcake and voila! However, I recommend you wrap the doily around your cupcake and tape it into place instead of inserting the cupcake into a prepared doily wrapper because it might not fit.

The final step is to assemble everything together, take loads of photographs, wow your recipient and enjoy your baked yummos.

I hope you have been inspired ... nom, nom, nom.


CREATIVE FRIDAY! HAPPY 5TH CUPCAKES INSPIRED BY LIA GRIFFITH
DOWNLOAD FREE PRINTABLE HERE & HERE.

160G CARDSTOCK - USE ART PAPEP
LACE PATTERNED SCISSORS - AVAILABLE FROM TESCO; RM4.
 DOILIES - AVAILABLE FROM DAISO; RM5.
FABRIC TAPE - AVAILABLE FROM MR. DIY; RM5
TOOTHPICK