August 23, 2013

creative friday! build your own cupcake from vol. 25

If you followed my previous Creative Friday! post, you might already have an inkling that I love baking. Well, so does lil Ee who loves being in the kitchen when I'm baking but because I prefer flour to stay in the flour canister and baking bits to stay in their respective baking bit corners - something lil Ee has yet to comprehend, she is usually served a restraining order of about four feet away from the baking area.

So when I re-discovered these free Build-A-Cupcake printables by Jessica over at Vol. 25 hidden away in my computer, I knew immediately what I was going to do with them.

VIA VOL. 25

Since I had quite a fair bit of magnetic strips left over from my previous Creative Friday! post, I decided to utilize them for this project too. Besides, adding magnets to the pieces will also ensure the cupcake bits stay around a little longer compared to when they are without since toddlers are notoriously known to misplace tiny bits and pieces of everything.

Here's how I assembled my build-a-cupcake kit for lil Ee, courtesy of Vol. 25.
  1. Download the free printables here and prin them on 160g card stock paper. I "borrowed" the card stock from lil Ee's drawing pad again and trimmed it to approximately A4 in size.
  2. Since these printables will be facing quite a bit of toddler-mishandling, I sprayed on a thin layer of lacquer and allowed it ample time to dry before turning the scissors loose on them.
  3. Glue a strip of magnet on the back of each piece and you're done!
You can stick the pieces onto the fridge door and let your toddler "bake" to his/her heart's content while you're in the kitchen. Or you can make a portable build-a-cupcake kit by arranging the pieces on a metal board/tray and present it to your toddler.

Here's three of the cupcakes lil Ee "baked" on our kitchen fridge door last weekend - looks good enough to eat :-)

I hope you've been inspired!

DOWNLOAD FREE PRINTABLE HERE.


165G CARDSTOCK - USE ART PAPER AND TRIM TO APPROXIMATELY A4 SIZE.
MAGNETIC STRIPS - AVAILABLE FROM DAISO; RM5.
{ OPTIONAL } METAL BOARD / TRAY - BE CREATIVE!