July 26, 2013

kanebo lip fresh, one half the equation to a űber lush and sexy pout

Kanebo Lip Fresh is essentially a lipstick remover for the lips ... erm, woman - that is quite obvious isn't it? {rolls eye and smacks forehead}.

Well, you can blame my absolute excitement over the Luxasia sale happening this weekend for pointing out the obvious. But ever since reality sunk in and I realised that I'm actually going, my mind has pretty much made an early dash to Parkroyal KL and parked its hiney at the entrance of The Orchid Ballroom.

Hmm ...

Anyway, today I thought I'd share a little discovery I made two weeks ago - the equation to a űber lush and sexy pout ... from a thirtysomething's point of view, that is - just to be clear.


I received a 9 ml sample bottle when I purchased the Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base a few months back. I usually remove my lipstick/lip gloss when I clean off the war-paint in the evenings with my usual makeup remover, so this little bottle was kept hidden away in my stash of samples for a bit until lil Ee decided to play face paint with my lip balms, lipsticks and lip glosses which is when I busted this out.

So, did it work? Yes, it did. It removed the lip pens, lipsticks and lip glosses in a single swipe. It took two swipes for lip glosses and three for lip glosses with shimmer but that was because lil Ee laid it on pretty thick {... honey, you owe mama a tube of Dior Addict and it is coming out from your piggy bank.}

To show you what I mean, here's a little experiment I did; a smorgasbord of textures from different lip pens, lip glosses and lipsticks. On my arm, I swiped the Dior Addict Lip Gloss and Dior Addict Lip Jelly twice, the Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick and Clinique Chubby Stick Intense thrice and Dior Lip Maximizer once. Then I dabbed just a bit of Kanebo Lip Fresh on a twice folded tissue paper and proceeded to swipe the colours off.


The photo on your left is a one-swipe test while the photo on your right is a two-swipe test. There is still a little bit of shimmer from the Dior Addict Lip Gloss and a bit of Clinique Chubby Stick Intense left on my arm but it's nothing that cannot be cleaned off with a fold of the tissue and another wipe.

For good order sake, here's the aftermath photo :-)


There isn't any fragrance to the liquid but it does smell a little like a mix of saline solution and a lot of salt ... that is if like me, you decide take a whiff. Incidentally, the liquid is salty and although I don't quite mind it, which in my personal opinion is better than tasting fragrance, some may find it put-offish.

The only thing I am concern about is that the formula looks a little "soapy" to me what with the "bubbles" forming inside the bottle whenever I tip it over to pour out. The formula didn't foam up when I poured a little onto my palms and rubbed away but it does feel slightly alkaline-ish so I usually rinse/re-wipe off with water after use just to be safe.

Other than that, it's a pretty good remover and helps prep the lips for lipstick/lip gloss application without drying the smackers out. Besides, a little goes a long way too. It's been a full week of daily use and I still have a little over half bottle left, even after lil Ee's adventure.

Now, back to the equation of űber lush and sexy pout: just dab a little bit of Kanebo Lip Fresh on the corner of a folded tissue/cotton pad and swipe it on your lips a few times and wipe clean with water ... that is, if you're like me. Proceed to apply a thin layer of Dior Lip Maximizer, wait a few seconds for that tingling sensation to kick in then look in the mirror - űber lush and sexy pout staring back at ya!


OK. I admit you can achieve the űber lush and sexy pout look without adding the extra Kanebo Lip Fresh step but I personally find that with this combination, the Dior Lip Maximizer works better with lip lines filled up effectively and lips plumped up evenly.

Now, having said ALL that ... I haven't quite decided if I'd purchase a full size bottle after my sample bottle runs out. I'm still weighing out the pros and cons seeing I haven't had any problems with my normal makeup remover and a little extra pout-time doesn't quite warrant an extra makeup remover purchase for me.

What's your take ... would you purchase full size for a little extra pout-time?