July 30, 2013

guerlain rouge automatique in ballade

With a heritage that dates back to 1936 as the first lipstick case designed without a cap thus allowing use with only one hand, the Guerlain Rouge Automatique is a beautiful work of art - from its sleek gold casing to the push down/slide up action to the gorgeous colours encased within, it is eye candy from every single angle.



The original Guerlain Rouge Automatique line features twenty five colours boasting different shades of beige, orange, pink and red - no matter what your skin tone and under tone is, you're bound to find that perfect shade to match.

However, today I will be reviewing the colour and formula of one half of the Guerlain's Rouge Automatique lineup in its Spring 2013 collection - the Guerlain Rouge Automatique in 600 Ballade.



The Guerlain Rouge Automatique Spring 2013 lineup featured two colours; 600 Ballade which is warm toned and 601 Romance which is cool toned and yes, they are limited editions. Both these colours were available at the Luxasia Malaysia sale held last weekend at Park Royal KL, going for RM40 each - I went home with Ballade. I was looking forward to the Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks but I heard they were sold out on the first day of the sale. Oh well ... there is always next year.


From the tube Guerlain Rouge Automatique in 600 Ballade looks to be coral/pink in hue and is frosted, which means there are tiny particles of shimmer in its formula. However, comparing the colour against Dior Addict Extreme in 339 Silouette, Guerlain Rouge Automatique in 600 Ballade definitely leans more towards pink.


Hmm ... pink and frosted. I was close to kicking myself because the formula had two things in it that I would never, for the life of me buy in a lipstick due to previous experiences. But then I tried it on anyway when the family went out for dinner and was quite pleasantly surprised.

For one, I was expecting the gritty feeling during application usually associated with frosted lipsticks but the colour glided on creamy and smooth. On my lips, the colour stayed on for about four hours but after the third hour, my lips starting feeling a little dry but not to the point of uncomfortable cracked lips. I was expecting it anyway as a lot of Rouge Automatique users have complain about the formula being less moisturizing than the Rouge G.

As with Dior Addict Extreme, the formula for Guerlain Rouge Automatique in 600 Ballade is also sheer. However, the colour is quite pigmented and stayed true on my lips without morphing into another shade as with Dior Addict Extreme in 339 Silouette.


My one other complain about this lipstick, other than the not so moisturizing formula after the three hour mark is also the very thing that makes it unique and gorgeous - it's design. There is only 2.5 cm of product that slides out from the golden case that surrounds it. In order to apply the lipstick without the case brushing across my mouth, I need to slide at least 2 cm of product out and that makes me feel like I'm going to break the lipstick off at its base. I could apply the lipstick at a 180° angle but I don't quite like rounding off the tip of my lipsticks. Sigh ... I am a difficult woman, aren't I?

Overall, I am quite pleased with my purchase since it was only RM40, so whatever complains I may have with the Guerlain Rouge Automatique in this particular colour is really quite insignificant. However, will I spend RM114 on another tube of Guerlain Rouge Automatique in the near future? Hmm ... at this very moment - no. I've read of poetic lyrics waxed about Guerlain Rouge Automatique in other colours {some not frosted too} but for the price it is retailing at and its formula after the three hour mark on my lips, I think I'll stick to Dior Addict Extreme. The Guerlain Rouge G however might have a different ending. I'll let you know how that pans out when I get my grubby little hands on one.