June 4, 2013

primers - lunasol smoothing makeup base & burberry fresh glow luminous fluid base

Pamela Anderson once said,"... natural beauty takes at least two hours in front of a mirror." Perhaps that is true for Hollywood's version of natural beauty. Natural beauty for a mama with a full time job and two Mexican jumping beans for kids living outside of Hollywood will have to settle for under ten minutes since both the beans kids will be clambering all over me within five; lil' Ee wants to play with my lipsticks & lipglosses and lil' Kai wants to play snuggle-wuggle with me.

I have contemplated skipping the hassle-frazzle of the morning face painting routine but unfortunately, going to work bare faced and zombie-fied isn't a sight I want to sport in the office, unless it's Halloween - a reason why I'm always on the lookout for products to help me cut the face painting time short-er in the mornings; like using foundation primers.


If you're wondering what foundation primers are and if it really is necessary, I guess you're not alone. Personally, I don't think they are necessary especially with the way foundation formulas have been revolutionised over the years. However, having said that foundation primers do serve as a "protective barrier" for your skin. It creates a smooth surface for your foundation to glide and melt into by filling in pores and fine lines, instead of your foundation.

According to Laura Mercier, foundation primers also allow foundations to stay-put in hot weather, prevent skin from absorbing talc & pigment from your foundation and prevent talc from drawing oil out from the skin, hence drying it out.

Lately, I've been getting into a routine of applying a primer before my foundation, not so much because everyone say I should but because I find that it keeps my skin from drying out by the end of the day. I am also less inflicted with the likes of monsieur Pimple and its close relatives in the Blemish clan.


These days, I'm alternating between Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base and Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base. Burberry was in the debut box of Thelilacbox while Lunasol was featured in their second box. Although both function primarily as foundation primers, they are as different as night and day and have very different effects on my skin depending on which foundation I pair it with. Let me explain ...



Burberry Beauty's Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base is lighter and much more gel-like compared to Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base. I got distracted by the kids when I attempted to blend in the primers. After about a minute or so, I found that while Burberry's texture remained gel-like as first pumped and blended easily, Lunasol's texture dried up and turned pastey. It didn't cake solid but it did take a while to warm it up and blend it in.

Visually, I couldn't tell the difference between both primers when blended in onto skin but I can feel the difference. Burberry's formula is much more hydrating which is why I normally pair it with my Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation, which have recently developed a tendency to dry out my skin.

Lunasol's formula on the other hand tends to be a tad dry so I pair it with heavier foundations, like the Max Factor Ageless Elixir 2+1 Serum and the Lunasol Skin Modelling Liquid Foundation. I'll be testing the primers with DiorSnow White Reveal Fresh Transparency Liquid Foundation next week but I suspect Lunasol would be better suited for Dior on my skin as this particular foundation is infused with Dior’s patented Icelandic Glacial Water ... but more on that in another post.

While Burberry's formula is fragrance and SPF-free, there is a very subtle powdery scent to Lunasol's SPF22PA++ formulation which dissipates shortly when applied onto skin. Both foundation primers do contain shimmers but it doesn't bring out the disco-ball effect, in case you're wondering.


Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base retails at RM118 for a 30 ml tube with a nozzle-tip dispenser while Burberry Beauty's Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base retails at RM165 for the same amount and comes with a pump dispenser. I personally prefer Burberry's version but I'm not entire not-liking Lunasol's as well - at least it doesn't come with a flat-tip dispenser like that of a toothpaste tube because I hate cleaning product from hard to get nooks and cranies on the short screw-neck.

For this working mama who has a toddler with makeup-napping tendencies and an infant who is stickier than mod-PODGE twenty-four seven, I do prefer a primer before foundation simply because it makes the morning face painting routine less of a hassle. At the same time my skin is kept hydrated throughout the day so I don't have to worry about ending it up with the Sahara dessert. 

I don't have a particular favourite between the Burberry and Lunasol primers as they both work well in evening out my skintone, minimising my pores and adding just that little bit of dewiness sans foundation. However, during the weekends when I prefer to go without makeup, I do find myself reaching out for my tube of Lunasol if the husband decides to take the clan out because it contains SPF and Burberry doesn't; the evening of skin tone, minimizing of pores and dewiness bit is well ... an added bonus :-)

So, what do you think about primers ... are they a go or no go for you?


BURBERRY FRESH GLOW LUMINOUS FLUID BASE IS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT ISETAN KLCC. NRP RM165 FOR 30ML BOTTLE WHILE LUNASOL SMOOTHING MAKEUP BASE IS AVAILABLE AT ALL KANEBO COUNTERS NATIONWIDE. NRP RM118 FOR 30ML TUBE. IF YOU'RE IN IPOH, KANEBO IS AVAILABLE AT PARKSON PARADE.
BURBERRY INGREDIENT LIST : AQUA (WATER), GLYCERIN, ISOHEXADECANE, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, ETHYLHEXYL STEARATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, SODIUM ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, PHENOXYETHANOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, CASSIA ANGUSTIFOLIA SEED POLYSACCHARIDE, POLYSORBATE 80, PANTHENOL, CARBOMER, SORBITAN OLEATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, LYCIUM BARBARUM FRUIT EXTRACT, POTASSIUM SORBATE, ROSA CANINA FRUIT EXTRACT, SORBIC ACID, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM HYDROXIDE. MAY CONTAIN CI 77019 (MICA), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES)

LUNASOL INGREDIENT LIST : AQUA (WATER), ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, DIMETHICONE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MINERAL OIL, STEARYL ALCOHOL, PHYTOSTERYL / ISOSTEARYL / CETYL/STEARYL / BEHENYL DIMER DILINOLEATE, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL STEARATE SE, PETROLATUM, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, STEARIC ACID, GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) STEROLS, HYDRATED SILICA, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, ALGIN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, ALCOHOL, HYDROLYZED SILK, ASTRAGALUS SINICUS EXTRACT, PANAX GINSENG ROOT EXTRACT, SOLUBLE COLLAGEN, ROYAL JELLY EXTRACT, SALVIA OFFICINALIS (SAGE) LEAF EXTRACT, SODIUM HYALURONATE, SODIUM CETYL SULFATE, BHT, EDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL, PARABEN, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, MICA, TALC