June 6, 2013

dior jelly lip pen

WARNING IF YOU LOVE ALL THING DIOR, LIMITED EDITION JUMBO LIP PENCILS AND THE COLOUR TURQUOISE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO STEER OF THIS PARTICULAR POST. OTHERWISE, READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The new and limited edition Dior Jelly Lip Pens are the latest jumbo lip pens to hit the jumbo lip pen market. The fact that it's from Dior makes for quite a lot of hype, as it should be.


Part of the gorgeous and drool-inducing Dior 2013 Spring/Summer Birds of Paradise Collection, the Dior Jelly Lip Pens have been blogged and raved about by many and I mean many beauty bloggers so I won't be going into the specifics of both the collection and the Jelly Lip Pens either. Instead today, I'll be doing a little bit of comparing ...

The Dior Jelly Lip Pens are available in four juicy shades which smells like tropical fruit punch and comes with very South American names, except for one.



There's nr. 476 Ilhabela; a subtle bubblegum pink, nr. 516 Copacabana; a warm nude, nr. 636 Carioca; a subtle coral and nr. 656 Gaîa; a warm rose. 

My first jumbo lip pen is nr. 04 Mega Melon from Clinique's line of Chubby Sticks. Then I added nr. 01 Curviest Caramel from the Chubby Stick Intense line half a year later and just last week, I got "blogged" into purchasing nr. 656 Gaîa the day after I read Paris' review at MyWomenStuff.

Gaîa really is a very pretty colour. When I swatched it on my arm at Dior, it reminded me of fresh blooms of roses warming up at the break of dawn. However when applied onto my lips, it morphed into a cooler hue of strawberry pink but nevertheless still pretty.

Compared to Clinique's Chubby Sticks, Dior's Jelly Lip Pen isn't is as intense in colour as it applies sheer. 


Texture wise, Dior is more balmy while Clinique glides creamier. I find that due to Dior's balmy texture, my lips are kept hydrated longer. Even without my usual coating of Dior's sex-on-a-stick Lip Maximiser, the Jelly Lip Pen lasts a little longer hydration wise compared to Clinique's Chubby Sticks ... even the Intense version.

Unlike lipsticks, the staying power of both the Dior and Clinique jumbo lip pens are relatively short which means you will need to reapply every few hours or so. On me, the maximum I could stretch it to was an hour half to two and that is provided I didn't eat or drink.

Having said that, the only time I actually do use my jumbo lip pens are during the casual Fridays and the weekends when all I need is a wash of colour on my lips. They're convenient and right now, nr. 656 Gaîa is going a pretty good job in giving me just that hint of natural rosiness. 

Would I recommend you jump into your car, drive to your nearest Dior counter and go grab one yourself? Yes and no - it really depends on your preferences when it comes to lip colour. If you're one who prefers something pigmented, then it's best you stick to Clinique's Chubby Sticks however if you're into sheer colours then by all means, go grab a Dior Jelly Lip Pen. 

A word of advise though and this is based from my own experience - if you're planning to purchase nr. 656  Gaîa without testing just because a lot of reviews say it's the prettiest colour among the four {and it is}, don't. If your skin tone leans towards the warmer hues, might I recommend you give nr. 636 Carioca a go instead as Gaîa might make you look a tad pale. However, if your skin tone leans towards cooler hues then nr. 656 Gaîa is definitely for you. 

If you're not sure which hue your skin tone is leaning towards, just ask yourself if you look better in gold or silver jewelry. If you look good in good, then you're warm-hued; if you look good in silver, then you're cool-hued.

In the meantime, I'll continue drooling over the 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow in Blue Lagoon, the 001 Samba nail colour duo and the DiorSkin Nude Tan in Pink Glow, all from Dior 2013 Spring/Summer Birds of Paradise Collection ... all the while contemplating and plotting and contemplating some more. But if you see me writing about them, then you'll know I've caved ... which you might because they are really pretty. Did I mention they're limited edition too?


Anyhow ... I do hope I didn't do too much damage to your bank account this month.

DIOR LIP JELLY PEN RETAILS AT RM85 AND IS AVAILABLE AT ALL DIOR COUNTERS NATIONWIDE. THEY ARE ON A  "WHILE STOCKS LAST" BASIS AS THEY'RE LIMITED EDITION. CLINIQUE CHUBBY STICK AND CHUBBY STICK INTENSE RETAILS AT RM58 AND IS AVAILABLE AT ALL CLINIQUE COUNTERS NATIONWIDE.