May 28, 2013

payot pâte grise

Payot Pâte Grise {pronounced : pa-you pah-te gree-ze} is thick & pastey, smells like mud with a hint of nuts and spreads like cold peanut butter on your face - it fails the first impression test in all aspects but brave the texture and the smell, leave it on overnight and it'll be totally worth all the ickiness you had to endure the night before.
Developed in 1947, Payot Pâte Grise has been used by three generations of French women as their secret weapon in the battle against brewing blemishes - and I can attest that it actually works. The key ingredient in this magical formula is its double shale extract {... that explains the muddy smell} which contains anti-bacterial properties and has a strong soothing effect on skin. The formula claims to be botanical based, designed to banish breakouts by simultaneously slowing down the oil production process and accelarating the spot's lifecycle so that it matures and disappears faster. I suppose you can think of it as a remote control on fast forward for blemishes.

I don't have acne prone skin but I do suffer from minor bouts of blemish attacks around my chin area due to my oily T-zone. Over time, these ongoing attacks have left quite a mine field of scars. Throughout the years, I've tried gels and lotions, spot stickers and roll-ons in an attempt to calm the war of the blemish clans on my chin. The formulas that claim to be mild took forever to work and I was too chicken to apply the stronger ones - I was desperate but not that desperate to drive my already sensitive skin over the edge with super strength chemicals.

Then I received a sample satchet of Payot Pâte Grise & Payot Spéciale 5 from Thelilacbox's third edition. Admittedly, I did scrunch my nose at the size of the samples - the satchets were approximately 5cm x 5cm in size and the actual product itself encased in an approximately 3.5cm x 3.5cm area - petit, oui?

But the fact is that I only needed a tiny dab of Payot Pâte Grise for my blemishes and after three nights of continuous use, I still have a little over half a satchet left. Most of my blemishes are pimple-wannabes and they calmed overnight but the stubborn ones took another night or two more. As a bonus, the "battle scars" were slightly lighter too.

However, a word of advice. If you're planning to use Payot Pâte Grise  every night on your face in an attempt to achieve flawless skin - don't. I did just that and eventhough the blemishes cleared, I was also stuck with a patch of dried out flaky skin. Payot Pâte Grise has been designed to slow down the oil production process on your skin so it will ultimately dry out your skin with continuous use.

Now, having rave about the product ... there is just one tiny little snag; it's ingredients. Read through the list below and you will understand my hesitance to purchase a full size tube of magic ...

LANOLIN, TALC, ZINC OXIDE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, PETROLATUM, ICHTAMMOL, AQUA (WATER)

Unfortunately lanolin, talc, paraffin and petrolatum top the ingredient list. Although most experts and health websites states that there is minimal risk in using beauty products containing these ingredients, I sometimes wonder if it's really worth taking a chance. I'm still debating with myself if I should jump on the bandwagon and get a full size tube because this product really does work. Sure, I can argue that I won't use enough of it to start a full-blown health catastrophe on myself but then I can also argue that this is not the only product out there with "controversial" ingredients ... yes, it's the age ol' beauty vs. health debate folks.

I'd love to know your thoughts about this product - what do you think, is it a yay or nay?

Payot Pâte Grise is available in a 15ml tube and retails online for:
RM93 on Zalora { RM20 discount for first time sign-ups! }
RM74 on StrawberryNet