May 10, 2013

hoping for a guerlain christmas

For Christmas last year, I filled my socks with Dior. This year, I am hoping to fill it with Guerlain. More specifically, the Guerlain Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating Powder Pearls in 01 Rose Teint & Guerlain Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer  ... too much?

If you're shaking your head - "I think so too!". 
If you're nodding - "But, it's Christmas!" and que {pout!}
Ok. I have tried bluffing myself {who on earth uses the word "bluffing" in a blog these days?!} that I don't have a lot of premium makeup on my vanity. But the truth is, and with my head hung low ... I actually do - at least by my standards. Ranging from Burberry to Dior, Clinique to Estee Lauder, Lancôme to Urban Decay ... all these excludes my stash of sample sizes.

Having said that, I have decided to yank the handbrakes and freeze my monthly makeup budget then wait eight extremely long agonizing months until Christmas to splurge on non other than the "Grande Dame" of premium brands in my books - Guerlain. Besides, Christmas is the time when all the cardiac-arrest-inducing beauty sets appears with jaw-dropping-and-equally-squeal-worthy prices!

Guerlain to me has always been THE ultimate premium brand on my wishlist. It began when my dear friend and wedding-day makeup artist extraordinaire puffed me up in some fancy-smancy pastel coloured balls and got me wanting.

The husband and I will be hitched five years this coming August, which means Guerlain's Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating Powder Pearls has been sitting and collecting mountain loads of dust on my wish list for a very long time. I guess I haven't bought a box for myself because Guerlain doesn't have a counter where I live and because I didn't really get into makeup until late last year after lil' Kai came along. Besides, the combination of being a thirty-something and extremely lacking in sleep makes for a scary moment if I were to go out bare-faced has something to do with it as well.

Guerlain Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating Powder Pearls is essentially a finishing powder which means it's the finishing touch after I'm done painting my face. If you're going, " ... but it has so many pretty colours in it!" then you're not the only one. I remember scrunching my nose at my dear friend almost five years ago when she told me she was going to "puff me up pretty with 'em pearls". I also exclaiming rather smugly, "I want to look radiant, not multi-coloured!" Needless to say, especially if you're a Guerlain Meteorites fan ... I ate a huge piece of humble pie. The gal staring back at me in the mirror had refined, almost flawless and utterly radiant skin which lasted the whole night.
No one know for sure how Guerlain managed to pull it off in little balls of multi-coloured pearls, but pull it off they did because the Météorites has a cult following since it launched in 1987. According to Guerlain, they took inspiration from
" ... the way light separates into a spectrum of colour. When white light is split through a prism, it transforms into a myriad of different colored rays. Conversely, when these colours are brought together, a single ray of absolute white light is formed. Météorites reproduce absolute white light to enhance your complexion by blending together small multicolored pearls, creating that sought after perfect radiance."
This white light is supposedly the "ideal light" which is widely used in film and photography to erase imperfection and soften feature. So, there you have it.

Guerlain's Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating Powder Pearls is currently available in three different colour harmonies:
  • 01 Teint Rose is meant to brighten and even out uneven skin tones.
  • 02 Teint Beige is meant to brighten and freshen up dull skin tones.
  • 03 Teint Dore is to neutralise a yellow undertone creating a golden, brighter skintone.

Within them are six different coloured pearls, each with a specific role and depending on which teint you purchase, they will vary in quantity:
  • Pink refreshes the complexion.
  • Mauve reflects light.
  • Green diminishes redness.
  • White is for a brighter complexion
  • Gold and pearl to add luminosity and adorn the face in a perfect touch of radiance.
Guerlain Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating in 01 Teint Rose


Guerlain Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating in 02 Teint Beige

Guerlain Météorites Perles Loose Illuminating in 03 Teint Dore

I know I've been going on and on about the pearls and didn't write much about Guerlain Météorites Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer. I figured since this is the one product I've yet to try, I'll leave my rave {or rant} until after I've stuffed my Christmas socks. Till then ...