April 21, 2013

you are more beautiful than you think

A few days ago while browsing through Facebook, I came across a YouTube video and it got me curious. So, I searched further and found a longer complete video and I think every girl and women should watch it.

Women are their own worst beauty critics. In fact, only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful. Dove is committed to building positive self-esteem and inspiring women and girls to reach their full potential. That's why we decided to conduct a compelling social experiment that proves to women something very important;
"You are more beautiful than you think."
I totally agree with the statement that women are their own worst beauty critics. Even the most beautiful women in the world will find something to complain about. It also does not help that society has a rule about what it takes to be beautiful {i.e. The Devil Wears Prada} and worse is when people in your own family follow it and make you feel downright low about yourself. 

I always tell my daughter that she is beautiful, no matter what and it's not because I am her mother. It's because I know what its like growing up and being surrounded by people who think they are better than I am; people who tell me I'm fat and no matter how much weight I loose I am just not skinny enough by their standards or I'm not tall enough or my hair isn't long and silky enough or my head is too big for my face.

These very same people have also commented that my daughter is too small built and her legs are too dotted with mosquito bite scars or bruises from bumps for a girl and the list just goes on and on.

I would like my daughter {and son} to grow up loving themselves. The husband and I can only shower them with all our love and acceptance and hope for the best but we know for a fact that they are both indeed beautiful children, both inside and out ... although they do drive this mama up the wall then down and back up again.

Always remember girls, you are more beautiful than you think and don't let the person next to you tell you otherwise because they aren't the one living underneath your skin - you are.