April 8, 2013

the lilac box march '13 edition

While delusional me is still Google-ing on how get my own army of minions to help me cope with the aftermath of moving home, reality hath beckoned me into finally finishing up this post which has been sitting in my "drafts" folder for over a week - the second edition of very addictive The Lilac Box.

The edition saw the guys excel in bow-tying ... I kid you not. I love to DIY but I cannot, for the life of me tie a pretty or perfect ribbon. There were three perfectly tied ribbons in all shapes, textures and sizes from the outside to the inside of this edition of The Lilac Box and coming from men, that's pretty darn impressive.



So, how did this box fare compared to the Valentine's edition? For starters, I like how the March '13 edition box was presented, especially when I lifted the tissue - the layout of the packed products and the colours just seem to scream "très chic!" to me. While the guys chose to stick with their signature colour - lilac, for their debut box, they went with tan and green this time around and finished it off with a straw-like ribbon. Brings a whole new meaning to "being green", which is what the guys are all about.


The product line up this time around has a slightly different feel to it compared to their debut box ... it actually feels like a first date progressing into a second date. Corny, I know but it does have a sense of maturity in it.

First up, Kanebo's Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base and its significant other, the Lunasol Skin Fusing Powder Foundation. This pair has been popping up in a lot of beauty boxes lately but I'm glad the guys included it in this month's box. A girl can never have enough foundation samples - be it powder or liquid.

The Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base is a gel-cream type makeup base that to smooth out the skin while evening out pores and bumps. It is also light diffusing which gives skin radiance and contains ingredients to care for dryness-prone skin. Then there's the Lunasol Skin Fusing Powder Foundation which claims to be able to do what liquid and cream foundations can but what powder-based foundations cannot - integrate with the skin thus producing refined radiance {insert cricket sounds here}. Basically, it means the formulation was created to feel and look like you're not wearing any coverage at all.

Interesting ... looks like a comparison with Urban Decay's Naked Skin Foundation is in order soon.


Then there's not one but two vials of perfume from Calvin Klein - the original Beauty and Sheer Beauty. While Calvin Klein Beauty is all about the ultimate power of femininity and sophistication, Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty is about being feminine, vibrant and bursing with confidence.

I'm not particularly excited about Calvin Klein products because I personally feel their fragrances lack a certain "uniqueness" that I usually look for in a perfume - like Anna Sui's "Secret Wish" or the latest fragrance from Chloé which is my current go-to fragrance, "SeeByChloé". The one and only bottle of fragrance I actually liked and purchased from Calvin Klein was their iconic "CKOne". The variations that came after just didn't appeal to me.


Next up, Redken's Intra Force shampoo and conditioner {me think - this is the first time I see the word "toner" used for "conditioner"} for colour treated and thinning hair. This duo should come in handy in the next few weeks as I attempt to redefine the colour "brunette" on an Asian head ... yet again.


From Paris, Nuxe Reve de Miel Face Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Gel.

Nuxe describes this as a "... deliciously ambery gel that gently removes make-up while cleansing and soothing the face in a single step without over stripping the skin thanks to its ultra-mild surfactants. A treat for the senses that leaves the skin feeling impeccably clean. It is suitable for sensitive skins INCLUDING CHILDREN 36 MONTHS AND UP since it contains 94.9% ingredients of natural origin and if formulated without parabens." Impressive but I think I'll keep these things away from lil' Ee for now ... or the next twenty years, or so.


And finally, also from Paris and my favourite item in the entire box ... a 50 ml bottle of Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse; a multi-usage dry oil for the face, body and hair with a super-activated formula that boasts a unique cocktail of six previous plant oils {borage, St. John's Wort, sweet almond, camellia, hazelnut and macadamia}. You read right - a full sized bottle of Nuxe's iconic product - I did a triple take before breaking out in a jiggy when I saw this. Lady Luck must like me a tad more this month because this is ONE OF SEVEN 50 ml bottles that were packed RANDOMLY and sent out and I got it ... muahahahaha!


I like what the three guys are doing although I'm not quite sure how the "first date" concept will work out after the fourth or fifth "date" which they liken each box to. But I suppose if they keep doing what they're doing which is basically what every women in this planet want; asking and actually listening to us, I think this relationship is a keeper.

It'll take me a while to try out all the products so do check back often if you're curious to know how they went.

Oh yeah, if you're wondering where the vouchers are ... there aren't any; not in the box anyway - they are actually up online at their website but to get to them, you'll need to subscribe. But fret not, the guys at The Lilac Box love to throw pleasant surprises our way {and quite often at that} so stalk them often on Facebook. It will be totally worth your time.