March 12, 2013

burberry sheer foundation - trench no. 5

I love Burberry's Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base and the Beauty Light Glow Blush so when I received a sample of the Sheer Foundation in Trench no. 05, I was as excited like a kid on Christmas morning.


Burberry Sheer Foundation is a sheer, light cream fluid which is supposedly hydrating and contains UV filters to protect from damaging environmental exposure. Its structure is gel-like for optimum light diffusion. It also claims to give a subtle finish and natural glow that illuminate the skin so it feels beautifully bare, supple and comfortable.

Sounds good on paper. Now let's test it on skin - Burberry Sheer Foundation in Trench no. 05 is indeed a sheer, light and creamy fluid. It's consistency is between that of Dior's Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup FPS 25 SPF and Urban Decay's Naked Foundation. It's good that it contain UV filters but perhaps it's too hydrating on my skin because two hours after application, my face was an oil-slicked continent of its own - a lot of blotting was required throughout the eight hours I wore this. My cheek area also itched a little for a while - it was not an allergic reaction or a full-blown-scratch-me sort of itch; it was just uncomfortable.

Coverage was indeed subtle - the gel-like structure of it helped evened out my uneven tones and hid the redness relatively well but I didn't like how it sat on my skin. I could feel a layer of foundation on my skin, even after an hour and it made me uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me but it made my pores feel choked-up and that I'm going to break out in a pimple party soon.

But I am an extremely stubborn sheila and desperately wanted to like this foundation so I decided to give it another go. In fact I gave it three all the while thinking if I changed my usual routine a little, perhaps the Burberry Sheer Foundation Luminous Fluid Foundation and my skin could get along. Here's what I did after my normal wash and tone routine:

ATTEMPT NO. 01
1. CAUDALÍE VINOSOURCE SOS THIRST-QUENCHING SERUM.
2. BURBERRY FRESH GLOW LUMINOUS FLUID BASE.
3. BURBERRY SHEER FOUNDATION LUMINOUS FLUID FOUNDATION.
THE RESULTS
• LAYER OF FOUNDATION ON SKIN FEEL - YES.
• OILY FACE - YES.
• ITCHY CHEEKS - YES.

ATTEMPT NO. 02
1. BURBERRY FRESH GLOW LUMINOUS FLUID BASE.
2. BURBERRY SHEER FOUNDATION LUMINOUS FLUID FOUNDATION.
3. CAUDALÍE BEAUTY ELIXIR
THE RESULTS
• LAYER OF FOUNDATION ON SKIN FEEL - YES.
• OILY FACE - LESS SO BUT STILL OILIER THAN NORMAL.
• ITCHY CHEEKS - YES.

ATTEMPT NO. 03
1. BURBERRY FRESH GLOW LUMINOUS FLUID BASE.
2. BURBERRY SHEER FOUNDATION LUMINOUS FLUID FOUNDATION.
THE RESULTS
• LAYER OF FOUNDATION ON SKIN FEEL - YES.
• OILY FACE - NO BUT SKIN FELT DRY. FOUNDATION STARTED TO CAKE AROUND EYE & NOSE AREA.
• ITCHY CHEEKS - YES.

Sadly all three attempts failed. Sorry Burberry, I wanted so much to love you but I just couldn't with this one. However, if you had better luck than I did with this, I'd love to hear about it so I can live vicariously through you.


BURBERRY SHEER FOUNDATION LUMINOUS FLUID FOUNDATION IS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT ISETAN SURIA KLCC. NRP RM165 {1 OZ}.
INGREDIENTS LIST: AQUA (WATER), CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, SQUALANE, BEHENETH-30, MYRISTYL ALCOHOL, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, GLYCERYL ISOSTEARATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYACRYLAMIDE, CARBOMER, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), BUTYLENE GLYCOL, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, TOCOPHEROL, BENZYL BENZOATE, HYDROXYCITRONELLAL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, BHT, ROSA ROXBURGHII FRUIT EXTRACT; MAY CONTAIN: CI 77019 (MICA), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77007 (ULTRAMARINES)].