March 27, 2013

a little bit of williams-sonoma at home

Moving is tough ... cleaning up before moving is tougher. After three days of sorting, thrashing, vacuuming, moping, scrubbing, wiping, unpacking and arranging ... the house is finally looking more like a home although it's not quite smelling like one yet. I hate using store bought air fresheners especially with the kids in the house. So when I saw this pin on Pinterest, I decided to try it out ... how wrong can you go with a supposedly Williams-Sonoma signature scent, right? 

I haven't been into a Williams-Sonoma store before but after letting this concoction to slowly simmer on my stove for about half a day {adding water as needed, of course}, I wished I took the time to visit its flagship store when we were at Union Square in San Francisco almost three years ago. In case you're wondering what Williams-Sonoma is, it's a high-end American consumer retail company that sells kitchenware  furniture and linens as well as other housewares and home furnishings, along with a variety of specialty foods, soaps and lotions.

All you need is a FEW SPRIGS OF ROSEMARY, ONE LEMON SLICED and a teaspoon of VANILLA EXTRACT in a pot and allow it to simmer on low heat. After just five minutes, the whole house will start smelling ... well, it's a scent that I can't quite put into words. It's got a fresh zing to it from the lemons, mixed with a hint of sweetness from the vanilla and savoriness from the rosemary. It's quite decadent and delicious at the same time but not the mouth watering kind; a conundrum of scents and I absolutely love it.

{ image credit : one more moore }


Here are some tips I stumbled upon the last few days:
  • I find rolling the lemon on a hard surface before slicing brings out essential oils and that lemony twang when it heats up. 
  • Dried bottled rosemary works fine too - just crush it a little with the back of a spoon before dropping them into the pot. 
  • Vanilla extract is too costly to use on something like this; the cheaper vanilla flavouring works just fine.
  • If you don't want to leave this to simmer on the stove, you can use the oven set at 100°C or alternately you can use a crockpot set on high. You will need to check on the water level once in a while with all three.
I would love to hear what you think about this scent if you tried this out - love it, hate it or just downright confused about it :-) Would also love to know what's your favourite way of scenting your home - do share!

PSST ... DO DROP BY AGAIN TOMORROW BECAUSE I'M HAVING MY FIRST GIVEAWAY!