February 13, 2013

urban decay naked skin weightless ultra definition liquid makeup

I'm not a makeup junkie and on most mornings especially in the last year, I've not applied much makeup except to give a little definition to my non-existent eyebrows and a wee bit of lip gloss so I don't look like death warmed up. Well, that and because my pregnancy hormones couldn't stand the slightest scent emitting from any of my makeup products.

Now that lil' Kai is almost six months and I'm in my mid-thirties, I also have to face the fact that I don't have the complexion of a twenty-something. Going to work bare faced is not a sight I wish even my worst enemies. My dark circles could also rival that of any panda happily chomping away on bamboo branches. So, I busted out my trusty and only bottle of foundation; the Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear in 020 Light Beige a couple of months back.

Unfortunately, the formula doesn't work with the chemistry of my skin anymore. I loved this bottle of foundation pre-pregnancy but not so much post-pregnancy.

I found that my skintone had went a shade lighter because I'm always in the office since lunch is only an elevator ride eight floors down; it was a very rude awakening for me when I looked into the mirror mid morning and found my face darker than my neck. Eek!

The formula which previously suited my dry combination skin  started breaking me out because now I have oily combination skin - enough to fry an egg if I stand outside in the blazing sun. Double eek!

So with a heavy heart, I shelved my Diorskin foundation and went in search of a new foundation. I was torn between the Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua and the Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup {what a mouthful!} but after a few weeks of debate, I finally decided on the Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation.

So, what's the rave about Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup ...
Urban Decay claims their Naked Skin foundation as a weightless and virtually invisible liquid foundation that creates a luminous, demi-matte finish. Its formula helps skin achieve a natural, illuminated and bright finish— like the beautiful skin you were born with.

It's also formulated with light-diffusing spheres and is suppose to transform your skin to look professionally touched. Buildable coverage means a customizable look.

Available in meticulously calibrated range of 18 shades, the precise shade numbering system does poetic justice to both warm tones {ending in “.0”} and cool skin tones {ending in “.5”} hence a matte, never flat, and luminous, but not shiny finish.

It also claims to load skin with a list of nourishing ingredients including: Matrixyl 3000 - a powerful anti-wrinkle peptide, protective and brightening Litchiderm, antioxidant Green Tea and Sodium Hyaluronate for optimal skin hydration and nutrient absorption.
The Naked Skin foundation is suspended in a sleek, sophisticated pump bottle, allowing more control and less waste of product. The Naked Skin foundation is formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, GMO's and Triclosan.

I've been using Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation for a week now and so far, I am absolutely loving it. I was matched to a 2.0 the last time I was in Sephora but could not purchase a bottle to rave about because they had run out. But all is well and I finally scored myself a bottle {thanks Mel & Chun!}. 

Let's talk pricing. A 30 ml bottle will set you back RM142 {nrp USD $39} and it is available exclusively at Sephora.

Packaging. I think there are two different packaging to this particular foundation - here in Malaysia it is packaged in a slim-lined golden box whereas in Miss Natty's Beauty Diary's post, it's in a wider box with a picture of the foundation on the front of the box. The bottle is made of plastic but is light enough to tote around if you can't leave home without your foundation and it also comes with a pump applicator which is great for hygiene.



Consistency wise, the foundation stands up to its "liquid" description - it is extremely liquidy which makes it extremely blendable - just remember to shake well before use. You can use your fingers but I prefer using it with its twin, the vegan Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush which was developed specifically to enhance the Naked Skin foundation experience {nrp RM90 from Sephora}.


The foundation is fragrance free and because it contains no perfume, the liquid itself smells rather chemically ... but in a foundation sort of way. The smell doesn't bother me at all and dissipates within a minute of application but if you think it might bother you, I would suggest you try it out and take a whiff of it especially if you don't live near Sephora and am thinking of asking someone to get it for you.

The finish is demi-matte but not dewy or shiny. It evened out the redness and discolouration on face with just one application and feels like I'm not wearing any foundation at all which I absolutely love. So far, I've not broken out and I've not have to blot until about four hours into the day - bonus!

Another thing that I have to mention about this foundation is that is does not contain SPF. Yes, you read right - no SPF. Some of you may be jumping up and down {like me} while others are gasping in horror by it but I guess it boils down to what your preference is. I prefer my foundations SPF free because foundations with SPF tend to oxidise after a while and make me look like an orange, which by the way did happen to me before. It also tends to break me out and make me look ashy in flash photography.


My Urban Decay collection ... thus far.

If coverage is on the top of your priority list in a foundation, I would suggest you skip this. Even though this foundation claims to be buildable, adding too many layers will give you that "too made up" look which I personally think defeats the purpose of purchasing the Naked Skin foundation in the first place. However, if you're looking for an extremely lightweight daily foundation with sheer to medium coverage and comes with skin nourishing properties without SPF or the dewiness effect of a bb cream and then I'd highly recommend this.
URBAN DECAY NAKED SKIN WEIGHTLESS ULTRA DEFINITION LIQUID MAKEUP IS AVAILABLE IN ALL SEPHORA STORES AT STAR HILL, SURIA KLCC AND PARADIGM MALL. NRP RM142.
INGREDIENT LIST:
AQUA (WATER/EAU), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SILICA, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, CAMELLIA OLEIFERA LEAF EXTRACT, LITCHI CHINENSIS PERICARP EXTRACT, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, TETRAHEXYLDECYL ASCORBATE, TRIBEHENIN, PALMITOYL OLIGOPEPTIDE, PALMITOYL TETRAPEPTIDE-7, SODIUM HYALURONATE, GLYCERIN, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERIN-3 CROSSPOLYMER, ISOPROPYL TITANIUM TRIISOSTEARATE, POLYSORBATE 20, DISODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE, SODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CARBOMER, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, PHENOXYETHANOL. ALL SHADES MAY CONTAIN: CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77491/77492/77499 (IRON OXIDES).