January 29, 2013

will the real louboutin please raise your heel?

Just as women around the world associates the blue of the robin-egg to Tiffany; a pair of towering black pumps with the colour red on its soles can only be associated with one name in the shoe world of high fashion – Christian Louboutin.

Born in 1992, the house of Louboutin helped bring back the stilettos by designing killer heels and literally, they are "killer heels" especially to the balance impaired like me because the heels on a pair of Louboutin begin from heights of 120 mm or higher with a price tag between USD $400 and USD $6,000! If the height doesn't give you a coronary, the price tag will. And to add more spice to that,  Monsieur Louboutin doesn't care if his creations hurt women either. He's actually told Grazia magazine:
"I really have not so much sympathy. If Tina Turner and Prince's back-up band can perform on stage in them for three hours, you can't tell me they are impossible to walk in. High heels are pleasure with pain. If you can't walk in them, don't wear them." - Christian Louboutin.
Yet women around the world still drool over a pair and want to own one, me included. I guess it's the exclusivity of it, like owning a pair of Jimmy Choos or Manolo Blahniks - whenever you see red soles on a pair of shoes particularly on a pair of sky high black pumps, you'd automatically associate it with the name Christian Louboutin, the rich and the famous.

Unfortunately the constant flatline in my account will never allow such fantasies to take flight, which might be a good thing too since I am a known klutz - I trip even on Crocs. But then {There will always be a "but then" when it comes to high fashion for womenkind. Deal with it, men.} my company's annual dinner has come up with a not-so-original colour theme for the night but still a rather exciting one at that - black, gold and red. I've decided to bust out my 20% off LBD from Mango, found my perfect red lippie for cheap and a pair of elegant gold earrings for even cheaper. What's left are the shoes and with some Google-ing and channeling into my inner DIY-goddess {erm, more of telling dearest husband what to do}, I came up with this ...






My very own pair of faux Christian Louboutin Bianca 140mm black suede pumps. The shoes are from Nose which cost me RM60 and dearest husband bought a can of spray paint from the hardware store in "Cherry Red" for RM15 bringing the grand total to RM75 since he had masking tape lying around. The nrp for an original pair of brand new Christian Louboutin Bianca 140mm  black sude pumps, like the pair pictured below will set you back a past USD$500.

Quite a dead ringer, right? Well, except for the heels and the inner part of the shoes but I don't think anyone at the dinner would notice.

However, if you’re tempted to do the same, be forewarned that Monsieur Louboutin has slapped and in a way won a lawsuit against Yves Saint Laurent for producing shoes with his signature red sole. So, be very careful if you’re thinking about painting all the soles of your shoes red because I don’t think Monsieur Louboutin would appreciate it, especially if it’s not more than 120mm high.