October 10, 2012

what i've learned from my cuddle bug

It's now 11:58 pm. Lil' Kai has just drifted off to sleep after almost four hours of now which is his routine ... feeding, burping, diaper changes and cuddling. I am exhausted as I've only slept about 3 hours last night but my brain does not seem to want to cooperate and let me sleep so I figured I might as well blog.



Lil' Kai is now a little over five weeks old and there have been quite a few things I've learned from him, especially in the last week or so.

He used to not mind being swaddle when he first came home but after the second week, he hated being tied up while napping downstairs. He'd somehow wiggle his way out and would scream murder if I tried to swaddle him; he didn't quite mind if I did during the nights. But then came week three and he started wiggling out at night too so I let him sleep in his favorite position - spread eagle. 

He also hates having his lil' baby toes covered and would kick up a storm if we did so my MIL drapes a light cloth over his Moses basket during his naps in the afternoon and I dress him up in one of his PJs with the inverted sleeves and sewn in booties at night if he kicks away his blanket {and you can bet your bottom dollar he will}. If I run out of those, I'll just bag him in his 1 TOG GroBaby sleeping bag.

Then came week four and he learned to appreciate cuddles and would not go to nap or sleep without a proper cuddle down; hence his nickname "The Cuddle Bug". And when he does go to sleep, he'd prefer to lie down on his left especially when he's gassy. So I've now mastered the art of gently laying him on his left after a good five to ten minute cuddle without him stirring and he'll go to sleep without a fuss for about an hour or two, if I'm lucky.

He's now at three and a half ounces of milk, sometimes four ounces if he's slept for more than two hours but he doesn't drink it down all at once. His day time method is to slowly enjoy it ounce by ounce, nap for about half an hour to an hour then wake up and take in another ounce. It used to frustrate the heck out of me when he'll wake up and cry for more milk just when I was about to settle down for a quick nap but after getting use to his routine, I've learned to deal.

His night time routine is much more consistent. He'll poop his daily poop between 8pm to 9pm so I'll normally keep him in his day clothes until after. I'll give him a warm wipe down, give him a baby massage with his moisturizer, feed and burp him then cuddle him a little bit and he'll drift off to sleep around 10pm to 10.30pm. I'll then rush downstairs to wash his bottles, fill up on baby formula, take a quick shower {and I mean "quick"}, pump and then store. Hell be up for more milk by the time I am done which should be around midnight and from there, it'll be more feed and burps at 3am, 6am and 9am; give and take half an hour of so.

My body has adjusted surviving on less than 4 hours of sleep in a single day and I am trying not to nap too long during the afternoons when my MIL takes over taking care of lil' Kai so it would be easier for me to readjust again when I go back to work come 1 November. Using good skin care has also helped me avoid looking too much like a zombie even though I feel like one. I still have about a little less than 3 weeks before I head back to work ... will update on how that works out when the time comes.


On another note, his big sister adores him to bits and would always request for some cuddle time with him before she goes to bed. Here's a photo I took of them a couple of minutes ago. It does make all the sleepless night somehow worth it when you see them two together. Sorry about the bad resolution; I'm still on iPhone 4.