September 11, 2012

breastfeeding ten days post-partum

Breastfeeding has not gone as planned for me with lil' Kai; the little fella won't latch on properly and when he does actually latch on, he falls asleep and I mean asleep. Nothing I do can wake the little fella to feed so I had to resort to pumping. Even that didn't go as planned because nothing came out. Nothing! Desperate that he might starve, I had to supplement with formula the first three days *boo hoo!*

Milk finally came in 3 days postpartum and I decided to chuck the pump and hand express instead because the dang thing squeaks every time I press the handle waking hubby and baby up. I could only get at most one measley ounce after half an hour and was as dry as a well in the middle of the Arizona desert. Needless to say I was surviving on adrenalin alone the first week after lil' Kai was born because all I could think about was expressing milk, milk and more milk for him every 2-3 hours ... even woke up at insane hours in the wee hours of the morning to be a cow. The joys of motherhood ... again.


I'm now ten days postpartum and although my supply has slightly increased to 2 - 2.5 ounces per 30 minutes session, I'm hoping it'll be more when my Earth Mama Angel Baby Milkmaid Tea arrives tomorrow. 

Wish me luck!