July 21, 2012

bolognaise, my style

Had a craving for some spaghetti bolognaise this weekend so after work today, I did something I have not done on my own for a very long time; grocery shopping. Since I found out I was pregnant 31 weeks ago, hubby has either done the shopping on his own since he's the house-chef or I'd waddle along beside him.

I've had quite a lot of spaghetti bolognaise but I never really did like how it's evolved into using chicken or port and using ketchup instead of tomato puree (seriously, ketchup!?). Hubby does one mean chunky spaghetti bolognaise and he's kept "quite true" to the original, minus the red wine and some vegetables and replaced the tagliatelle or tagliolini with spaghetti.

So in my shopping cart today, I've decided to keep it simple and bought just the basic ingrediants since I only have about 3 hours of prep and cooking time while my little girl takes her afternoon nap.

Here's what I got:
  • Fresh red tomatoes.
  • Fresh red cherry tomatoes.
  • Fresh Roma tomatoes.
  • Red Onions.
  • Yellow Onions.
  • Garlic.
  • White Button Mushrooms.
  • Tomato Puree.
  • Butter.
  • Bay Leaves.
  • Italian Herbs.
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese.
  • Minced Beef.
  • Spaghetti.
Can you see a lil' Italian chef peeking out somewhere from my trusty EnviroSac?

How to prepare Spaghetti Bolognaise, my style:
  1. Slice the onions then dice the tomatoes and mushrooms.
  2. Sweat the onions in butter, then add the dry herbs.
  3. Add the minced beef, brown the beef.
  4. Add the diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and tomato puree then cover to simmer on low to medium low heat for about 2 to 3 hours.
  5. Serve with your choice of pasta and sprinkle (or in my case, pour) with some Parmesan Cheese.

I made enough sauce for a week's worth of spaghetti bolognaise and sloppy joes. Taste wise, it was pretty close to hubby's version and since Adrianna had no problems chomping down on it, I guess I have no complains.