May 22, 2012

cloth diapering; ♥ it or hate it.

Cloth diapering; you either it or absolutely hate it.

After 2 years of disposable diapers (which have cost us little over RM5k … in 24 months!!), I’m quite ready to give cloth diapers a try especially since gone are the days of the “kain lampins” or as I like to call ‘em the Jurassic flats which are much more suitable as herb bags for soups than on a baby’s bum.

After much research, reading and going Aww! over some potential cloth diapers online that may end up on the too-shies of both my kids, I think I’ll give cloth diapering a go.  I can go on and on about the pros of cloth diapering or CD (I’ll call it CD now because I’m getting a tad lazy to type (I’d blame it on my pregnancy hormones but then I really am just lazy)), but for me personally it boils down to just two things:

 Cloth Diapers are cheaper than Disposable Diapers.
… and they really are. More so if you’re using the same piece for more than one little one like I plan to with both my little ones. So the start-up cost of purchasing the CDs is quite mind boggling – I’m estimating to spend a little over RM600 in the next few months on CDs, pre-folds and inserts but that’s where it’ll taper off (unless of course you get absolutely addicted to the cute designs on your baby bums and go out and get some more CDs!). RM600 is only going to last both my little ones about 3 months on disposables - have you checked the latest price on MamyPoko diapers?! Good grief!

Sure you can argue that I haven’t factored in the extra loads of laundry, extra use of electricity and not to mention a much much closer proximity to baby poopies but you might be pleasantly surprised that these costs (and the poopy proximity) are quite infinitesimal compared to the cost of disposable diapers over a period of time, let's say 2 years like what I went through - RM5k plus!

 Utterly cute baby too-shies.
I have gone through quite a few CD review sites and by a few I mean about 15 websites or more and stalked about a dozen online CD stores and two brands have come up tops; { Thirsties } and { Fuzzi Bunz }. They’ve come up tops in ease-of-use (for Daddy and Gramps), absorbability, drying time, built and design. I can’t rate it based on affordability because when it comes to Adrianna's bum as she’s been known to break out in horrid diaper rash that lasts weeks if I use anything that’s a trade-off and I think both Gramps and Daddy will agree on only the best for both the little ones.

Most review sites I’ve gone through recommended using Thirsties’ Duo Wrap Covers (in either Aplix or Snaps) with their super absorbent pre-folds for newborns and/or the Thirsties' Duo Diapers with hemp inserts because Asian babies tend to be smaller than Caucasian babies then upgrade to Fuzzi Bunz’s One Size Elite Pocket Diapers with micro terry and hemp inserts when the baby fat and chubbiness sets in.

After much digging online and quite a bit of frustration because the brands I was hoping to try aren't found in Malaysia, I decided to go with the GroVia Hybrid Shells and their easy snap-on inserts from Tiny Tapir. That and because Kak Li was a gem and super accomodating to my barrages of questions.

Here's what I've added to my cart at Tiny Tapir. They're going to be on trial when my lil' man is about 3 months, which should give me enough time for his runny poppy to taper off to a bearable consistensy (since I'm going to attempt full-on breastfeeding this time round) and to review and if I should attempt my purchase of my Thirsties and FuzziBunz from US. Although these shells do come in the snap version, I decided to try the applix as the package only came in applix.

Experience GroVia Package @ RM229 which consists of:
GroVia Hybrid Shell Hook & Look Closure Diaper in Blackberry
GroVia Hybrid Shell Hook & Look Closure Diaper in Kiwi
GroVia Organic Cotton Snap-In Soaker  (2 plus 2 pieces)

And add-on:
GroVia Organic Cotton Booster @ RM35
Gro Via Magic Stick @ RM60
Gro Via Tiny Bubbles Detergent @ RM59.90

The grand total for this trial set is at RM383.90. I'll probably add more my stash as I go along. Hubby on the other hand hasn't quite jumped on the CD bandwagon yet. His concept of CD is still in the dark ages. Hopefully when I get around to implementing it with my lil' man, he'll come around too (and willingly buy me the other cute designs I've saved in on my Wish List at Thirsties' and Fuzzi Bunz).