April 3, 2012

second trimester and still exhausted!

When I was 8 weeks pregnant, my mother-in-law told me that the nausea and exhaustion will get better when I'm in my second trimester ... somewhere between weeks 12 to 14.

When I was 12 weeks pregnant, my nausea slowly faded and by week 14, it was almost non-existant but I had to be careful with what I ate. Fair enough if my little bean don't like sour and fried foods, I get to control my weight gain a little.

When I was week 13, my colleagues told me that the lingering exhaustion I was still suffering from will be replaced with a boost of energy soon particularly in the middle of my second trimester.

I’m now 16 weeks pregnant, almost a month into my second trimester and the Energizer Bunny that everyone has been raving about is still playing truant, MIA, lost ... whatever you wanna call it because I am still exhausted!

I’m super tired by mid-morning and when the clock chimes 2pm, I can hardly keep my eyes open so I’m constantly doing the nod-and-spring-back head motion every 30 minutes or so. In between I keep myself awake because my bladder would be screaming out for a toilet break.

Flashback ...

I was extremely sleepy in my first trimester when I was pregnant with lil' Ee but once I hit the 12 week mark, I managed to survive the next two trimesters without nodding off in the office and like some X-Files of pregnancy, I didn’t have the urge to nap or sleep until almost 11pm every single night. Hubby thought I was on high on pregnancy-steroid-typed hormones of something.

Oddly enough, this seem to be lil' Ee's zzz habit now. She doesn’t like to sleep. If she had her way, she’d spend every minute playing even when she can hardly keep her eyes open. Needless to say, this has resulted in this momma being sleep deprived from the minute she was born which may explain why I’m so tired this time around. But I’m also hoping that the zzz pattern I’m experiencing now is an indication that our little bean to sleep.

Either that or I am screwed … very. Can you imagine how much $$ I've invested in eye-creams?!