January 4, 2012

home made scented play dough

Now that Adrianna is two and a half years old, I feel comfortable introducing her sticky pliable dough to mush around but still uncomfortable buying her Play Dough even though the label says it’s safe for kids. So, after gawking on Craft Gawker and following a few links, I decided to make some homemade scented play dough with my little baby girl during the weekend. I got the basic recipe { here } and tweaked it a little by substituting some of the ingredients to something else similar and maybe added or subtracted the weight here and there. 

Ingredients For The Dough

# 2 cups of flour
# 2 cups of warm water
# 1 cup of salt
# 2  tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
# 1  tablespoon cream of tartar

# Food coloring
# Edible flavoring for a slight scent – peppermint, coconut, vanilla butter, cinnamon ... you can also use dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, mint ... the possibilities are endless!

How To Make The Dough
  1. Place a non-stick (preferable) pan on your stove and set to low-medium heat.
  2. Add all the “For The Dough” ingredients in, stirring occasionally. When the ingredients come together looking like dough, remove the pan from heat.
  3. Lay out some wax paper and scoop the play dough onto the wax paper. Divide the dough into however many balls you want and start kneading for about a minute or so before adding the color and scents you want to each different ball.
  4. Once the dough has been kneaded into a nice smooth texture, place it in an airtight container or a zip lock bag.
I use both liquid coloring and Wilton’s gel colors and found that the gel colors gave a nicer consistency to the dough whereas the liquid coloring made it a tad runny but will eventually stiffen up into a play dough like consistency.

For the scent, try not to use a different scent for each color. I wanted to but figured if my little baby girl mixed them all together, it'd smell pretty funky so stick with complimenting scents per batch. For this batch, I used peppermint oil and coconut emulco because if baby mushes them together, it'll still smell like Christmas in summer. For my next batch, I'll probably use the dried herbs I have ... and my little baby girl will probably end up mixing a wiff of Italian herbed dough when she's done.

Once your done, package it up nicely in an airtight container or zip lock bag. I got some cute tiny little plastic containers lying around in my cupboard so I used them and jazzed it up with some cute printables (artwork "borrowed" from mayi carles) and I now have a very happy baby with a lot of colorful mush to mush with.

Note Homemade play dough will keep for quite a while IF it is kept in an airtight container when done. Mine is still play dough-ish after 2 odd weeks although I'll probably make a new batch soon. I cannot stand having bits of this and that stuck into it. Goodness know where else baby has gone mushing it into too!